Monday, November 01, 2004

 

Many Rivers to cross

We had a special tournament at our local cardroom last night. £50 buy in Pot Limit Hold 'em. 90+ runners and plenty of action built up a £16000 pool.

I didn't feature after "living by the river and dying by the river". After the buy ins ended I got 89 in the blind. Flop 852. I bet one caller. Turn 5 I bet allin. He thinks and calls. He has A8. Luckily 9 comes on the river and I'm up to 8000. We move tables and I get AT on the button. I raise and blind calls. Flop A76. He bets I raise he goes allin. He has A5. Turn K river...5.

Oh well, there's always the cash game. As it was a bigger buy in tournament the cash game was double the normal buy in £200 instead of £100, with £5 blinds. Within the first hour I had burned through £800 after flopping "the nuts" and getting outdrawn. Such is Omaha!

I bought in for £200 more got it up to £600 over the next hour then lost £200 with trip Kings vs a guy who didnt notice he had a straight. I had checked river when a flush hit. He tabled his cards face up and took the £500ish pot down.

Next hand I have QQ64 in Omaha. Q and 6 suited. A preflop raise and I call along with 4 others. Flop 643 two of my suit. I have two pair and a flush draw. Button bets pot 1 call on my right I call. This was definitely a "tilt" call in the cold light of day. Turn is Q(!). The perfect card to keep me in. I have £200 left. It goes in. £1200+ in pot. River is 6! I have QQQ66 and because of 6 in my hand cannot lose to quads. The other two guys in pot had the straight and my right hand foe had Ace flush draw so I was definitely "gambling". Now a lot of players would crow about winning a £1200 pot. I gathered the chips up and admitted I was lucky. As one guy said, "tilt pays off?".

That got me out of trouble, thankfully!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?