Saturday, November 27, 2004

 

Chips with Everything

Strange night at my local cardroom Friday night.

As I am going back to a 9 to 5 job (starting in January), I am trying to get used to a restricted poker diet. Friday nights will probably be my only experience and only then if Forest are away from home on the Saturday.

So I pop down to my local cardroom. 85 runners for a £20 tourney. A few of the regulars are away at a festival in Walsall, plenty of new faces (Friday is generally a beginners/one time a week players night).

Before the competition starts the cardroom manager shows me a proposed schedule for a festival in Spring 2005. This will be over 4-5 days with a mix of No Limit and Pot Limit Hold 'em (and I said NLHE would never be played at the cardroom!). No Omaha unfortunately. The structures look good with early starts (for the UK anyway!), plenty of chips and a good "clock" and blind structure. It still has to be approved by upper management, but hopefully they will see the benefit of getting 100 plus folks in playing, eating and drinking!

Anyway to the tourney. What a disaster. A typical hand. UTG raises 100 3 call, I have AA and reraise pot. Two others go allin. I am up against 99 and 42o! Flop A38 5 on turn (and a guy said he passed 55!?) and blank river and I get another £20 out. A round later I get AA and raise two foes again, one with 88 the other AK. 8 on flop and I have another buy in. I end up having 9 rebuys and a top up and only have 2000 chips at the end of rebuys. Somehow I hit a rush up to 15000 (why can't I do this during the rebuys!). Then with 19 left I blow off my stack bluffing into a guy with Top Pair top Kicker!

I trundle off to the £50 cash game, lose my buy in quickly, rebuy £50 and thankfully win a £300 pot in Padooki, and end up ahead £170, plus a guy I lent £40 to in March cashes in the tourney and pays me back! (I'd written the £40 off as it had been so long since i gave it him!).

Hopefully my tourney form will improve in Slovenia! (Theres always the cash games I guess!).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?